Friday, December 26, 2008

Merry Christmas!

(oo grr, I can't get the paragraphs to line up right- sorry if this is hard to read)

I have to start by thanking you all for the prayers, love, well wishes, and support you have given. It has been overwhelming and I am so grateful for each of you. God has blessed me with the most incredible family and friends and there are no words to thank Him enough. I sincerely hope each of you had the best Christmas ever!

We thought about Christmas early this year, and what it really means to our family. We cherish spending time quality time with the kids and really believe this is what the Christmas spirit is all about. With that in mind, we asked the kids in the summer what they would like more this year; presents or a family trip. They chose the trip and Gary and I were so grateful! We took them on a little Baja Mexico cruise. We left from San Diego and went to Cabo San Lucas, Ensenada, then back to San Diego. We had such an incredible time!! Started out kinda weird though.


December 12th was both the day we were leaving on the trip and the day I finally had my dr. appointment. I had another bubble echo cardiogram and a trans-cranial doppler- fancy for heart and brain ultrasound. It was determined that I had a PFO but it was too small for surgery. I would be lying if I said wasn't devastated. (Especially when I learned that it was because insurance won't pay for the repair unless I have a stroke first). I really thought this was the answer to the migraines. Oh well, back to the drawing board! The great thing about migraines is that although they are debilitating, they are temporary. You always know that they will go away.

I know God has a plan for this whole thing and I'm actually really excited to see where He leads me! Times like this always remind me of a favorite scripture. "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all ways, acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths." Proverbs 3:5-6

So Gary, Emily, and Justin left early to go to San Diego and I met them there later that night. After that, all our troubles melted away. The weather was perfect in Cabo! It rained in Ensenada, but it certainly didn't stop the fun! The kids looked amazing at the formal dinner and it was so much fun. I'm pretty sure Justin ate 552 ice cream cones on the ship- and Emily probably ate that many chicken nuggets! So funny!
If you have never taken a cruise with your kids- I would HIGHLY recommend it! You can find short 3-5 day cruises for very reasonable prices. We ended up spending less than we had in quite a few years on presents the kids probably don't even remember. It was so dreamy spending time with our busy teens. They are just the coolest, funniest people in the world. We didn't realize how much we missed them until we all got away from cell phones, computers, and sports!!

The kids swam with dolphins in Cabo. That was supposed to be the highlight of our trip. However, as we were about to head out snorkeling, our guide said we had to change our itinerary. Apparently some giant humpback whales were migrating, so darn it, we had to take a little detour! That was truly the most breathtaking experience we had ever had! Our guide took us right up to them (apparently it was dangerously close) and we saw 3 of the largest creatures we could imagine! We were overwhelmed to say the least.
We were awestruck at the sheer magnitude of their tail fins, and the the spray from their blowholes, but just when we couldn't dream it could get any better, one of them jumped up all the way out of the water! We saw the WHOLE thing- and it was unimaginable! We didn't get a picture in time, but it was weird, like it all happened in slow motion. There was a ship behind the whale and the whale seemed bigger!
Needless to say, our Christmas cruise was incredible and the kids said they would love for us to do this again next year. We'll have to see what the year brings!

In San Diego the morning of the cruise


We're on the Carnival Elation!


Emily, Gary, & Justin in Cabo


This doesn't show how enormous their tailfins were


If you click on the collage, you can see it better

Us at La Boufadora in Ensenada

This was just a picture we took from our cabin window of the ocean. Incredible!

0 comments: